The Parliament House (Sansad Bhavan) is a circular building designed by the British architects Sir Edwin Lutyens and Sir Herbert Baker in 1912–1913. Construction began in 1921, and in 1927 the building was opened as the home of the Council of State, the Central Legislative Assembly and the Chamber of Princes.
The roof of the outer circle of the structure is supported by 144 granite pillars. The Houses are located on Janpath, close to the former Viceroy's House (Rashtrapati Bhavan). It can also be seen from the India Gate.
The former Chamber of Princes was home to the Supreme Court of India until 1958.
The Foundation stone of Parliament House was laid on the 12th February, 1921 by H.R.H. The Duke of Connaught. The construction of the building took six years and the opening ceremony was performed on the 18th January, 1927 by the then Governor-General of India, Lord Irwin. The cost of construction was Rs 83 lakhs. Size of the Building Parliament House is a massive circular edifice 5600 feet (about 170 metres) in diameter. Its circumference is about one-third of a mile (or about half a kilometre) and it covers an area of nearly six acres (about 24000 square metres). The open veranda on the first floor is fringed with a colonnade of 144 creamy sandstone columns—each 27 feet (8.23 metres) high. The building has twelve gates among which Gate No. 1 on the Sans